Spotlight on Clubs: Sign Language Club promotes interaction among all students

Lauren Selfridge, News Editor

One of the most incredible aspects of LHS is the vast amount of clubs for the student body. Sign Language Club, led by the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Department (DHH), has proven to encourage communication and fun at LHS.

The DHH first made its way here about ten years ago. In order to encourage interaction between hearing and deaf students, the club has grown in membership and friendship between students.

Some of the club’s activities include interpretive plays, “Silent Dinner”, and the DHH Volleyball Tournament. Sophomore Jazmin Camacho says the activities are “a great way to meet new people at LHS.”

Sponsor Judy Gray, a member of the DHH faculty, says the original purpose of the club was to “give access to students who wanted to learn ASL (American Sign Language) once the deaf students started at LHS.” She noted that the club’s 19 members enjoy learning how to sign and the dynamic after school activities.

Sign Language Club looks forward to many more successful years at LHS. Emma Potts, sophomore, notes that she joined because she had deaf students in her Physical Education class. She says the best part of the club is the interaction and “feeling proud of yourself for remembering the signs.”