Slamming poetry draws in audience

Attendees+of+the+Poetry+Slam+gather+before+the+performance.+The+annual+event+has+proven+to+be+a+hit.+It+was+held+on+November+10.+Photo+courtesy+of+Mrs.+Armbrecht.+

Attendees of the Poetry Slam gather before the performance. The annual event has proven to be a hit. It was held on November 10. Photo courtesy of Mrs. Armbrecht.

Gabby Rabianski, Staff Writer

Passionate poetry lovers hit the stage on Nov. 10 to participate in NEHS’s Poetry Slam event. Students were either allowed to perform a personal piece or a published work in front of the audience. Hosts Samantha Schoell and Justin Haase helped set the fun, coffee-house atmosphere for the night.

Senior Kiara Hardy said, “Performing is nerve-wracking every time, regardless of the fact that [I do] speech every Saturday.”

For those not performing, raffle baskets and baked goods were available to enjoy.

NEHS secretary Liz Blickhahn said, “There was always something going on. I think it was a great way to include the students that weren’t performing but wanted to feel like they were a part of the night.”

Senior and NEHS officer Ashley Miller said, “The decorations were very inviting and the atmosphere was calm. I had a great time organizing the event with my friends and seeing so many people attend.”

The National English Honors Society hopes to continue hosting the Poetry Slam in the future because of its success the past couple of years.