Breaking records

The+scoreboard+at+Hillcrest+High+during+the+beginning+of+the+game.+

Morgan Pukula

The scoreboard at Hillcrest High during the beginning of the game.

Morgan Pukula, Staff Writer

On Jan. 10, PJ Pipes started his new year off by breaking two school records in basketball. Becoming the third Division-1 player in history, this wasn’t hard to accomplish. Pipes broke the career free throw points record and made it into the 1000 point club.

Pipes said, “I didn’t really feel any pressure. I just looked at it as another game.” Keeping teamwork as his number one priority was what gave Pipes the ability to continue pursuing this goal.

Pipes was able to come back after being injured to help the team accomplish the biggest goal of the season: winning. Pipes said, “It was difficult, at first, to come back into the game, but I knew [that] I had a whole week until our next one, so I would have plenty of time to rest and heal.”

Breaking the career amount of free points leaves Pipes as the leader in this category. Keeping the rest of the team under his wing will lead to success throughout the rest of the season.

The team has an overall record of 10 wins to 7 losses with a conference record of 6 to 1. The team’s most recent game was at Hillcrest, one of their biggest rivals, at Hillcrest High School on Jan. 27. Unfortunately, they lost by only three points at a tight game of 63 (Hillcrest) to 60 points (Lemont).

Best of luck to Coach Runaas and the team as they finish off the season strong.