Planning for the future – are you ready?

Edgar Pesole, Staff Writer

Registration day has just finished – now what? Registration day is very difficult for some students because of the choices that they have to make. However, I feel that there was a problem in the system. From experience, I have had some problems in the past both before and after choosing my classes.

Picking classes sounds fun, but choosing classes can largely impact the first day of school in the fall.

Choosing the class that a student wants to take can open his point of view and broaden his skills, typically regarding something that can affect their future careers.

When students sign up for classes, it’s a clean slate that directly correlates  with what the student may want to pursue in the future, career-wise.

A junior student said that “picking (this class) was a big step for me, planting a thought of interest in my head for what I want for the future”.

The student chose this particular class so that he could experience the subject more in depth, however, he ended up finding the class to be boring.

There are many students that show no intention for enjoying classes but have to get it over with because it’s required, yet necessary because of the life skills and knowledge that the classes offer.

Having classes that are chosen by the student can make that class or the perspective of students livelier, after all, students are more likely to participate in a subject that they personally have an interest in.

But, there are some negatives in choosing classes. Less than average grades can affect class choices, as can above-average grades, making students decide if they want that extra challenge that an advanced class can offer.

Since classes were limited for me: what was I to do? The counselors were helpful in selecting different classes.

The counselors do the best they can to make sure that the schedules are pristine and ready for the upcoming year.

But don’t squander your years in high school. The counselors do work with you, but only if you ask for the help. If you have any questions, just ask.

Squandering away the couple years of high school with pointless classes diminishes the opportunities that could have been positive for the future.

So for all those student out there, don’t waste your first couple years. This doesn’t mean to be the type of person that’s all about all work and no play, just use your time wisely. Feel free to take fun electives, but also pack your schedule with classes that will overall benefit you, academically.

Pick classes with the knowledge that it can change your life. May your future benefit you.