Cheerleading from the sidelines

October 26, 2016

Cheerleeding has always been a big part of Lemont High School, especially for junior Rebecca Bertram who started cheering eleven years ago.

“I can do a layout and a standing tuck, but I’m working on a full,” said Bertram, explaining how the tumbling aspect of cheer is usually the most difficult. Her next challenge, the ‘full,’ requires her to do a full twist upside down without her hands. Already, she has mastered the layout: a no-hands, upside down, straight-legged backflip.

“I like the football season a tad bit more than competition season, only because when we win, the cheerleaders have a jam session, blast music to celebrate [and,] everyone sings and gets along,”said Bertram.

“A bonus of joining cheer is the amount of people you meet,” Bertram said, “My favorite part about cheer is becoming a family with your team throughout the season; we all support each other and become good friends.”

Even though she has done cheer for most of her life, Rebecca hasn’t always been just a cheerleader. She said, “I did track, but other than that, I have only done cheer.”

Cheer has been the biggest part of her life. Bertram said, “ It is a really good team that gives me opportunities to compete against other schools and compete to be the best team in the state for a certain division.”

Bertram has enjoyed cheering throughout her high school career so far and will remember all the fun memories with her team for the rest of her life.