Intruder drill prepares students for safety

Lauren Selfridge, News Editor

On Tuesday, March 29, the Lemont Police Department conducted a successful intruder/secure lockdown drill at LHS.

The drill, which lasted for about 30 minutes, was necessary in today’s dangerous world. Since the tragic school shooting in Newtown in 2012, many schools across the United States have taken extra necessary precautions for the safety of their students.

On Dec. 14, 2012, 20 year old Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook Elementary and fatally shot 20 young students and six faculty members. The current seniors were freshmen at the time.

On Dec. 15, President Obama addressed the nation and said, “So our hearts are broken today” for the parents and families of the children and faculty members whose lives were  “torn away from them too early.” He also noted that “there are no words that will ease their pain.”

Since that tragic day, many states, including Illinois, have made lockdown drills mandatory for all school districts.

Mr. Gagnon, dean, felt the most impressive part of the lockdown was the cooperation and maturity of the students. However, he noted that he “wouldn’t expect anything less of LHS students.”

He also said the cooperation between the school district and the police department was critical and extremely successful.

Senior Emily Lane and freshman Brooke Adams both felt the lockdown went smoothly. Both also agree that they feel very safe at LHS all the time.

Many students and parents can rest assured that LHS will always take as many preventative methods to ensure the safety of all students.