Former Tom-Tom editor adventures in Iceland

Photo+taken+by+Sarah+Klein+

Photo taken by Sarah Klein

Heather Miller, Editor in Chief

It is one thing to see a photo of a glacier, but it’s another to be able to go into one. This scenario may seem like a fantasy, but for former co-editor of the LHS Tom-Tom, Jeff Franklin, this dream recently became a reality.

Jeff graduated as part of the class of 2016 and is studying Environmental Geosciences at Michigan State University in hopes of one day becoming a Glaciologist.  He was able to participate in a program called a “Freshman Seminar Abroad” where he and a small group of MSU freshmen spent two weeks in Iceland studying glaciers and the effects of climate change.

“My class focused on how Iceland’s history and culture breeds a more environmentally sustainable country,” said Franklin, explaining how this trip was perfect for his major, using Iceland as an example of good eco-friendly practices.

“I’ve been lucky enough to visit a large number of places in my time, but this trip was by far one of the best ones I’ve ever taken in one of the most beautiful countries I have ever seen,” said Franklin.

He went on to say, “If we really want to make a real lasting difference to protect both the world and… the human race, then we have to make a lot of changes and that responsibility falls on all of us.” The class was eye-opening to the young students, showing how global climate change is greatly affecting other parts of the world less seen by the public.

“If anyone is considering studying abroad, my best advice: do it” said Jeff regarding the experience, going on to explain how just a short amount of time can change one’s life so dramatically. He was able to meet new people (and goats) and see sights he considered  beyond beautiful.

“It also gives you a taste of living independently,” he said, feeling now as if normal college life will be nothing but a breeze after this experience.