Cookin up a good time

Sam Bradley, Staff Writer

Foreign Language Club (FLC) is hosting a field trip to the Melting Pot Restaurant in Downers Grove on Monday, February 29 starting at 5:45 p.m.

Foreign Language Club gives students the opportunity to attend multicultural events. The events allow them to apply their knowledge from taking a language in school and learning new things about the world around them.

One of the annual main events is the Melting Pot. Mrs. Ercoli, the FLC sponsor, expressed her excitement for the trip by saying, “The Melting Pot is a very nice restaurant, which is kind of funny because fondue started out as more of a peasant dish to use up stale bread and cheese scraps.  It’s considered the national dish of Switzerland, which fits our club’s cultural mission.”

This event will allow students to try an arrangement of different foods which includes: cheese appetizer fondue, house salad, chocolate dessert fondue, and a Signature Selection entree which is an assortment of meat, poultry, shrimp and vegetables all cooked in bouillon. This gives students the opportunity to sample new things.

The trip costs $40 dollars and includes a bus ride to and from the restaurant along with the meal.

Money and permission slips need to be turned into Mrs. Ercoli in S304 by February 24. To reserve a seat with your friends, students must turn in all the information for your table at the same time.

Mrs. Ercoli said, “I like seeing club members actually talking to their table mates – it’s hard to be immersed in your cell phone when one hand is holding a fondue fork and the other is pushing food on or off of it.”