The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

‘Shrek’ brings lots of laughs to enthusiastic audiences
Summer homework, sport camps: LHS summer 2024 information
What should you be spending your money on at Sephora?

May 23, 2024

Chicago looks towards Lollapalooza’s return

May 21, 2024

Recap of 2023-24 school year

Recap of 2023-24 school year

May 21, 2024

16 teams advance to Stanley Cup Finals, Blackhawks miss out on playoffs

Stanley Cup playoffs commence
Addyson Connolly
The Stanley Cup was first awarded during 1892-93.

As the regular National Hockey League season comes to a close, the hecticness of the Stanley Cup Playoffs arises. The Stanley Cup is the largest championship for hockey in the NHL and 16 teams started the fight for the Cup on April 20. 

The New York Rangers won the Presidents’ Trophy, leading the league with 114 points. They were paired against the Washington Capitals who was the final team to clinch a spot in the playoffs after fighting against the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins.

The match-up between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins was exciting for many. The Bruins are the 2022-23 Presidents’ Trophy winner, however, they were not able to keep their winning streak this season as they placed seventh in the league. The Maple Leafs, unfortunately, have been in a championship drought since 1967. 

The Tampa Bay Lighting played against the Florida Panthers in the first round. The Panthers placed first in the Atlantic Division this season. The Tampa Bay Lighting have some challenging games ahead of them, however, they have right wing Nikita Kucherov who led her team with 144 points. 

The Vancouver Canucks placed first in the Pacific Division against the Nashville Predators. Both teams had pretty strong seasons, which made for an interesting competition. 

The Dallas Stars played the Vegas Knights in the first round and placed first in the Central Division.

Some other teams in the playoffs include the Winnipeg Jets, Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Carolina Hurricanes and the New York Islanders. These first-round match-ups were intense. As the playoffs continue, it will be exciting to see how it will all play out. The last possible date for a game is June 24. 

Unfortunately, the Chicago Blackhawks did not get a playoff spot this season, placing 31 out of 32 teams. The team continues with the challenge of rebuilding the franchise to what it used to be. 

Rookie Connor Bedard accumulated a total of 61 points, leading the rookies in points for the 2023-24 season. However, Bedard was not the only memorable rookie for the Blackhawks this season. Frank Nazar, a late-season addition, was able to score during his NHL debut against the Carolina Hurricanes. 

The team concluded their season on April 18 with a 4-5 loss against the LA Kings. Despite the heartbreaking season, fans are eager to see how rebuilding will help the team in the future.