The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

‘Shrek’ brings lots of laughs to enthusiastic audiences
Summer homework, sport camps: LHS summer 2024 information
What should you be spending your money on at Sephora?

May 23, 2024

Chicago looks towards Lollapalooza’s return

May 21, 2024

Recap of 2023-24 school year

Recap of 2023-24 school year

May 21, 2024

Recap of 2023-24 school year

Events that shaped both students’ and staffs’ year
The+school+year+brought+many+memory-making+events%2C+like+Spirit+Week+and+the+Friday+Flyover.+
Ava Amato
The school year brought many memory-making events, like Spirit Week and the Friday Flyover.

As the 2023-24 school year comes to a close, it is hard to remember all the events that took place throughout the nine months students have been in school. Although many students believe every school year is the same, they fail to recognize important and memorable events that made the 2023-24 school year unique.

Arguably, one of the most important changes to the structure of school days was “Lemont Time” which has made its mark on students and staff. The new mandatory “advisory” period follows third period on Wednesdays from 1:15-1:45 p.m. “Lemont Time” discusses monthly themes like collaboration, kindness and how to manage stress. The idea of “Lemont Time” was implemented so that students have a “home base” where they can gain skills and knowledge.

Not only is there an additional “class”, but students now get released at 3 p.m. on Wednesdays instead of the usual dismissal at 2:37 p.m. The time change forced students to make adjustments that affected every Wednesday.

“I know it’s only once a week, but it changes sport schedules and messes with times,” sophomore Matthew Schmitt said.

In addition to Lemont Time, Homecoming week proved to be an amazing lead-up to the Homecoming dance and the class competition had unique results as well. In years past, freshmen have placed last overall, but this year proved to be different. The freshman placed third with 1,670 points, while the sophomores placed last with 1,611 points, making them the new last-place finishers. 

In addition to Homecoming week, the fall semester was an eventful one. In October, LHS had the Friday Flyover, a news segment on ABC7 that recognizes high schools across Illinois. Lemont was featured on this segment on Oct. 6 and many students and student-athletes gathered on the football field to partake in this opportunity. 

Not only did students show off their school pride, but they also provided information on “Lemont v. Hunger”, an organization that the school, students and community recognize and cherish. The Friday Flyover proved to be beneficial for not only the high school, but the community as well. 

Also sharing school pride, the cheerleading team won their seventh state championship. With their last state title won being in 2018, the team’s accomplishment was shared across the school and social media to give the cheerleaders and coaches the recognition they deserve.

Adding to the list of sports that have won state championships since 1998, the cheerleading teams’ win was commemorated with a new state championship sign. Located on the outside of the school wall on Julia Street, the growth and accomplishments of Lemont’s sports programs over the years is highlighted and celebrated. 

Another new event implemented this school year was “Disconnect to Reconnect” which proved to be a fun challenge for students and staff. The optional “no-phones” challenge occurred on Feb. 21 and had prizes and raffles for each grade as well as a valuable lesson for those who participated. Many students successfully completed the challenge phone-free and gained a new perspective on phone usage.

“At the end of the day I realized how lost my generation is without their phones,” sophomore Emma Lappay said. “It was interesting seeing the extent teachers would go to get people off their phones.”

To close off the school year, prom took students on an adventure to the Shedd Aquarium. The venue for this year’s prom captured the attention of students, ensuring the turnout of the dance created great memories for all in attendance. 

With new experiences and memories that will last a lifetime, it is safe to say that prom is a great end to a school year filled with excitement and newness. 

As seniors prepare for graduation and others look forward to the coming school year, looking back on 2023-24 is important since each student’s experiences are different, but school-wide events are shared among all.