Track meets: just do ‘em

Alexandra Kunkel, Photographer

After the start of the season, the girls Track team has been through a series of meets ranging from hard to easy. This past meet was held at the Lemont High School in the field house where the girl’s team ended up getting first place, whereas the boys did not do as well.

Although there are many options for events, some events are the 4×4 and the 4×2. A 4×4 is 4 people running a 400 (2 laps on an indoor track and one lap on an outdoor track)  and a 4×2 is 4 people running a 200 ( one full lap on an indoor track and a curve with a straight on an outdoor track).

For some, the first meet was absolutely horrible and quite embarrassing. However, there were still a lot of people focusing on the race. The other schools there did well even though it was their first meet as well.

Just like every sport, Track has plenty of workouts. These can either be five 200s, 300s, 100s, or 400s. If it’s not a workout day, the sprinters will usually do something light.

Workouts can definitely help but only if they’re at least two days before a meet. Workouts help athletes gain more muscle and help us get stronger but you will be tired after. Every sprinter runs the same amount at practice. That allows everyone to be equal at the meet.

The day before a meet will be typically easy, most of the time will consist of on form and cooling down.

There is a huge difference between Cross-Country and Track practices. During Cross-Country, students are running for 30-40 minutes and the workouts are very difficult. Even a regular day could be challenging.

On the other hand, a Track easy day is quite easy and a hard day isn’t going to kill you. Both sports are definitely different but at the same time they are alike.

During Cross-Country, running usually takes place on either grass, concrete, or blacktop. Track season takes place on a “smooth” track. The track itself is typically made of rubber and can get really hot during warm days.

Unlike grass, the track surface will definitely give a person shin splints very quickly.

All in all, many have a preference as to which type of meet they would like to compete in.