Senior basketball players celebrate final home game with victory

Heather Miller, Editor in Chief

LHS girls’ basketball celebrated their five senior players, retiring coach, and last home game on Thursday, Feb. 9 at varsity’s 7 p.m. game. Before the event, all five seniors were introduced and rewarded with handshakes and gifts from friends. Assistant coach Tim Leffler received a standing ovation, honoring him for his many years of assistance.

Heather Miller
Senior players and their parents get honored before the game.

The girls played a riveting game against Tinley Park and beat the Titans 53 to 35 and had a lead over them at the end of each quarter. Senior all-stars Kiara Hardy (#25), Susan Nelson (#33), Shannon O’Donnell (#20), Quinn Shereck (#22), and Paige Terrazas (#24) all began their last home game on the floor. All five of the girls had powerful plays and scored several points for the team while they played, making spectators very proud.

Coached by Ms. Rainey and Mr. Leffler, the girls have won 18 games and lost 8 while also taking home the title of South Suburban Conference Blue champions.

Heather Miller
Nelson, O’Donnell, Hardy, Shereck, and Terrazas accept flowers at Senior Honor Night.

Teammates made posters and decorations for the graduating girls that hung in the gymnasium and neighboring hallways. Honored senior Kiara Hardy said, “I’ve learned how far being a good teammate can travel throughout the entire team. Cheering and picking each other up is the most important part of being on a team and it goes such a long way.” Hardy has participated in Lemont’s basketball program for four years and enjoys watching the freshmen and sophomore teams grow as players, saying that she will miss that once it’s over.

Heather Miller
Posters made by teammates decorated the hallways neighboring the gymnasium.

Congratulations to the girls on an amazing season.