“Logan” slashes its way to the top of box offices

Logan Coronado, Staff Writer

I had the absolute privilege to watch “Logan” in theaters on its release date of March 3, 2017. The movie stars Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Stephen Merchant, and Boyd Holbrook.  I’ve been waiting for this film since the comic “Old Man Logan” came out in 2008; the production and has surely arrived with full force. “Logan” surpassed any and every expectation I had for it. While it doesn’t follow the original storyline, it does a really good job of filling in the gaps not included in the movie.

“Logan” is the story of the retired superhero Wolverine and his struggle with the future. As the movie opens, he is living with the dying Professor X and coping with his current illness.

A fantastic thing about this movie is the introduction of Laura (X-23). She is a mutant born of Wolverine’s DNA who possesses similar abilities, such as a healing factor, two claws that come out of each of her hands, and one claw that comes out of each of her feet. Her personality and actions are similar to Logan’s.

Logan discovers that the girl is of his DNA, basically making her his daughter. Despite them not knowing each other, they have a fondness for each other. However, Logan is very skeptical of her. Through meeting her, Logan learns the value of family and what it’s like to love; Laura learns that Logan’s intelligence made him the fighter he is. He is what she strives to live up to.

If there is only one complaint, it’s the gore, or the lack thereof. This is the story of a character with a dark past and an even darker future. Yes, Logan had its gory moments, but not enough to satisfy the typical Wolverine fan.

But, the execution of character dialogue made up for this. Seeing Logan get beaten up and damaged from things that used to bounce off of him is surprisingly really sad.

While superhero movies seem to always be good whichever way they are looked at, “Logan” is phenomenal in every direction. Whether it is seen as a comic book fan or just a movie goer, any audience member is sure to leave the theater pleased. It goes to show that metal claws don’t make you a hero but being there for the one person who needs you the most makes you a hero. Logan is shown more as a father figure than a superhero, kind of showing that a superhero can really be anyone

“Logan” is the movie of 2017. The film has no X-men and no basic villain, just discovery. I personally adore this film and would recommend it to every single person. This is the movie has changed the superhero genre.  “Logan” is undoubtedly 10 stars out of 10, with its incredible script and really stunning effects. This story is the end of the X-men and the birth of the new mutants.