Excited for the arts with Mrs. Idell

Emily Krivograd, Staff Writer and Web-Editor

Art teacher Mrs. Megan Idell has seen her fair share of students pulling off some hilarious things in class. “I had a student last year in photography, for whatever reason he had a costume in his bag and decided to put it on in class…We were doing a little photoshoot. Everyone went with it,” said Mrs. Idell. She also said, “They [the students] were like, ‘I’ll do the backdrop’….We got bubbles out…We had mirrors.”

Stories like these are just one example of how students in Idell’s art class take the content that they learn and apply it elsewhere – all while being engaged in the class. The cause of this passion for learning is Idell’s contagious love for the arts. She gave some insight into the art program and what it is like to be an art teacher as a former student of LHS Oct. 12.

“I thought it was really cool that they [art teachers] got to do what they like and get to help and teach future generations,” said  Idell, when reflecting on her motives for choosing to pursue art education. As an alumni of LHS, Idell is one of those generations influenced by the art program.

Mrs. Idell was a student of Mrs. Laina Wing’s, and she was also friends with Ms. Jenna Bumber in high school.  Idell and former LHS teacher Bumber had the idea of becoming teachers when they were in high school together, but they did not know they would actually end up back at LHS teaching.

“I was a sub at a couple of different districts,” said Idell. Before LHS, Idell was a substitute teacher at schools in Darien, Hinsdale and the Salt Creek District. She substituted for one year and was an aide for another year.

Before landing jobs in any schools, Idell received her education at College of Dupage for two years. Afterwards, she continued her education at Illinois State University for three years.

Regarding how art can be helpful in other fields, Idell said, “An English major at ISU had to learn how to put something together in Photoshop.” Adobe Photoshop is a program Idell teaches students how to use in her digital art classes.

She continued, “A lot of kids will say ‘This [art class] is the reason I enjoy going to school.’” The art program is relaxed, but still allows for learning to take place while keeping students engaged. “We play music and try to have fun while learning,” said Idell.

There are a wide range of art programs offered at the school, including classes such as Introduction to Digital Art, Digital Photography, Graphic Design, Fine Arts Woodworking, Ceramics courses, Studio Art courses and Drawing and Painting courses.

“There’s a million different ways to do something,” said Idell. “There’s so many different styles; it could evoke so many different emotions in you.”