Acknowledging the life of a school Counselor

Lauren Gallet, Staff Writer and Copy Editor

It seems that the main focal point when it comes to discussing school and academics is surrounded around students. While there is no doubt about the fact that the students play a vital role within the schooling system, officials that work more behind the scenes to help students succeed also deserve recognition.

In this case, the topic of discussion is school counselors. There are countless responsibilities these individuals have that help to hold together the schooling system as a whole. The constant stress and work endured by these authorities should be recognized.

Mrs. Stephanie Bushnell is one of the many student counselors who actively work to further the success of those who attend our school.

“There are many aspects to counseling. We have a curriculum that we follow that includes working with all classes and providing them [students] with comprehensive information that will help them throughout the year,” said Bushnell.

“I was working for Discovery Networks in Advertising and loved helping and training new people coming in; it was self-fulfilling. A good friend of mine informed me about guidance counseling and I did my research on the field and decided to go back to school to get my Masters in School Guidance and Counseling. It’s been one of my best decisions!” Bushnell said.

“I love helping students with their educational needs, whether it’s for academics, college/career or social/emotional,” Bushnell said. Given that student counselors deal with students constantly, there are often many personal affairs within those students’ lives that they go to their counselors for. Whether it’s giving advice or just being a listening ear, engagement in personal lives of countless students is a responsibility that just adds to the list of things counselors like Bushnell are expected to do.

Though these tasks seem very overwhelming, the outcome in the long run is all that really seems to matter. Bushnell said, “The best part of being a counselor is watching my students succeed and achieve their goals.”

The real question is: where would students be without their own school counselor?

“I can’t even imagine the stress levels of school counselors” said senior Madison Horbach.

“My counselor is Ms. Bushnell and she is someone I can always go to for help whether it’s for school or life problems,” said Horbach.