FBLA takes over the state

Ava Grubb, Staff Writer and Copy Editor

Lemont’s Future Business Leaders of America are taking over Illinois. 32 members of FBLA will be competing in 22 events at State 2018, in Springfield, Illinois. On April 6 and 7, students will be putting out their best work to hopefully qualify for nationals.

Students chose between 70 events before the season started and the events ranged from business to technology. Also, before the season started, students researched the events offered and picked the one that sparked the most interest. Before regionals, everyone in the club took a pre-test to determine who will take what events.

FBLA had an extremely successful season this year and supervisor Mr. John Aspel says this is due to the fact “they have been harsher on how presentations are run, and students are using the competitive rubric to practice.”

If the state competition goes as planned, they will hopefully be sending students off to nationals. FBLA normally has up to 10 students competing in the national competition.

FBLA does not only help students broaden their knowledge in the business and technology  industry, it also helps them work on their public speaking skills.

“FBLA has provided a gateway for me into the business world and has helped me develop skills such as presenting my ideas to others and effectively leading others,” says sophomore Ella Pelen.