Deadly rite of passage

Sorority and fraternity hazing rituals taking a deadly turn

Brianna Katauskas, Staff Writer

Seniors are buzzing with excitement as the end of the year nears and they get closer to starting college. While students are anticipating their future, there are some serious dangers that they need to be aware of.

Joining a sorority or a fraternity is a popular choice among freshman. They hold numerous benefits for new students, including a “Big” to help guide you through your first year. They also hold some potential risks.

“Hazing” is an initiation ritual that requires new members to complete tasks that prove alliance and loyalty. Hazing week must be successfully completed in order to be officially accepted into the fraternity/sorority. These tasks are often demeaning and make the ‘Littles” perform embarrassing duties solely in the name of humiliating them.

Students looking to be involved in the “Greek Life” should be wary of hazing going too far. Since 1969, there has been at least one hazing-related death every year. These rituals often include  things such as branding, “tubbing,” and enduring physical pain.

“If you’re forced to do something extremely dangerous, step back and ask yourself if this sorority is worth possibly losing your life,” said senior Lauryn Lellos, who will be starting at UNLV this fall.