Village of Lemont holds ceremony for September 11th terrorist attacks

The+nations+flag+hangs+halfway+down+the+flagpole+at+the+ceremony%2C+in+remembrance+of+those+that+lost+their+lives+in+the+9%2F11+attacks.+

Andrew Kula

The nation’s flag hangs halfway down the flagpole at the ceremony, in remembrance of those that lost their lives in the 9/11 attacks.

Andrew Kula, Staff Writer

The Village of Lemont held a ceremony to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks. The ceremony began at 8:30 a.m., and was held at the Lemont Fire Department, which included words from Lemont Fire Chief, Frank Jareczek, and Village Trustee Kevin Shaughnessy. 

A couple memorable events took place after the speeches were made. First, was the ringing of the bell ceremony, which is an event that announces that a brother or sister has come home for the final time. Additionally, a flag folding ceremony occurred where the American flag was properly folded and replaced with a flag bearing the stars, stripes, and the date of September 11 as well as the skyline of New York with the Twin Towers.

The ceremony concluded with the playing of Taps in addition to the song “Amazing Grace”. 

Village Trustee, Kevin Shaughnessy who went to the first anniversary of the attacks at Ground Zero stated, “I went to the service the following year and it was very humbling, moving, and, as I said had mentioned, the pain and suffering of the people who were there was really, more than I expected.” 

Additionally Shaughnessy said, “I was there (at Ground Zero), to share my support for them (the families of victims) and be with them, and other than offer my condolences and my words of support, that was all I could do. But to be there with them was important to me.” 

All high school students and even some college students were not alive to witness the pain and suffering that occurred on September 11, 2001 and it is significant that people who were not alive during the time remember and never forget. 

When asked about this and the importance of remembering 9/11, Shaughnessy responded, “That day, the fabric of our country was torn. You read in the history books about war and, on that day, we actually felt it. And there is no other feeling that can compare with that.” 

A sense of unity can be related with the attacks of 9/11 and as Shaughnessy stated, “Everything in life has a purpose. The country came together like never before and for all the young people out there today, do not forget history and learn from it. Remember the good things that came out of September 11 and not the bad things.” 

Nearly 20 years later, more and more people are coming into this world not knowing the experience and the emotions that come with the date September 11, 2001 but we have the ability to learn about the day and learn about the heroes that shaped the day and shaped how America can prosper even in the darkest of times.