COVID-19 cases double in two weeks

The+school+is+still+following+safety+protocols+to+prevent+crowding+in+the+hallways+and+staircases+such+as+one-way+staircases+and+limited+people+in+bathrooms.+

Emma Arnold

The school is still following safety protocols to prevent crowding in the hallways and staircases such as one-way staircases and limited people in bathrooms.

As of Nov. 5, Lemont High School reported  COVID-19 cases had more than doubled between the span of Oct. 22 and Nov. 5. 

According to the COVID dashboard on the school’s website the most recent update on Nov. 15 reported 18 active positive cases and four individuals excluded from school due to close contact.  So far this school year 40 positive cases have been reported.  

In just those two weeks 13 positive cases were reported to the school. 

The school also urged teachers to remind students of COVID-19 safety guidelines of wearing masks properly and wiping down desks.  

Emma Arnold

The school has testing available for COVID-19 as well, to ensure that students, faculty and staff are as safe as possible. The school offers SHIELD and Binax-NOW testing on campus as a part of the mitigation efforts.

“It is scary how quickly the COVID rates in our school are rising,” said senior Julia Rajchel. “My teachers do a good job at reminding students to clean their desks and pull up their masks during class.” 

Some students have conflicting opinions on if teachers are pushing protocols enough. 

“I wish that some teachers would do more to push COVID protocols, such as masks,” said senior Lenna Nabulsi.  “Kids in my classes will wear masks improperly or sometimes not wear one at all.”

— Lenna Nabulsi

The school emailed parents and students informing the school community of the growing cases. 

In an email sent out by Dr. Ticknor and Mr. Michaelsen, they said, “Unvaccinated students may not come to school if anyone in their household has tested positive for COVID-19 or is being evaluated for COVID-19.”

Emma Arnold

Unvaccinated students are not eligible for the “test to stay” protocol.

Since COVID-19 began, in March 2020, schools began to test out what is referred to as “hybrid” schooling. Which is a mix of online and in-person classes.

Many teachers are trying their best  not to go back to hybrid schooling because they feel as if they are unable to connect with their students over a screen. 

Numerous seniors have added that they also do not want to go back into hybrid classes since they want to make the most out of their last year. 

The school offered a vaccine clinic in the PAC on Nov. 12. 

Emma Arnold