Students leap for lunch at Lemont

Students+line+up+for+lunch+in+the+%E2%80%9CGrill+%26+Bake%2C%E2%80%9D+line.+Many+of+the+lines+are+very+long+and+almost+reach+to+the+back+of+the+cafeteria.+

Addyson Connolly

Students line up for lunch in the “Grill & Bake,” line. Many of the lines are very long and almost reach to the back of the cafeteria.

Addyson Connolly, Staff writer

This school year students have only been offered one option for lunch each day. This changed on Jan. 20. Students received an email from Principal Eric Michaelsen about lunch going back to how it was pre-COVID-19. 

Students are now offered multiple choices, students can go into one of the lines offered which include a deli, grill and bake and daily special lines. Students are allowed to visit one of the lines per day. 

“Each student may visit one line per day, and is entitled to one lunch per day. You may not go through the line multiple times. Lunch will still be free, but you will have more choices,” said Michaelsen.

Ala carte was an option pre-COVID-19 but is currently not available right now. Many juniors and seniors are disappointed as this was something they have experienced in the past and it does not seem like it will be available anytime soon.

“Al la carte is not going to be an option this year, I know that,” head of the food services Tina Mehta said. “We don’t want kids putting their pin numbers in because everyone would be touching the pinpad.”

Although the lunch options have returned to normal, students still have to sit in individual desks that are spaced six feet apart. Students are curious about when the lunch tables will be back and they will be able to sit next to their friends.

“We want to keep it at six feet, because we want to have as many kids as possible in school,” said Michaelsen. “We had that little problem towards the end of last semester, we don’t want to have that problem again.” 

People were very happy about the wraps being back, but many people wish that it was the same way as before. Wraps are premade now, but in the past it was very different. 

“Pre-pandemic what you see in the deli is not what you see today, it was more like a subway station,” said Mehta. “You would pick your bread, you would pick your meat, your vegetables and how you want it wrapped. We cannot do that right now.”

Addyson Connolly