OMG! What will I wear? How students are preparing for homecoming

Emily Galassi

Junior Ella Murray searches for her homecoming dress in preparation for the dance.

Emily Galassi and Caroline Vranas

Homecoming has been a staple of the high school experience for many students over the years. Many Lemont students will be attending homecoming in the same school their parents did 50 years ago. Since this dance is so important to so many students, numerous students decide to start preparing for homecoming long before the dance actually arrives. So how long before the dance do students actually start to prepare?

According to a survey of LHS students as of Aug. 29, 51% of girls responded have already started preparing for homecoming, along with 25% of boys.

“I’ve booked my hair and makeup appointments and I’ve also ordered some dresses,” said senior Maria Kovar. 

Throughout the Homecoming season, great excitement is brought to both girls and boys from preparing for this special event (at the expense of their parents’ wallets). Many girls feel the need to start preparing early, taking time to look for the right dress and figuring out where they are going to take pictures, while many boys start looking for an outfit as late as a week before Homecoming. 

While students are excited for the Homecoming experience, with that excitement comes the stress of making appointments for hair and makeup, finding others to go with and even plans for after the dance. A big source of stress for many students (while not required for Homecoming) is finding a date for the dance.

7% of surveyed students have already chosen not to attend Homecoming for various reasons. Some aren’t going simply because they can’t make it. Junior Sophie Pirie is attending a hockey tournament rather than the dance, and sophomore Addyson Connolly is missing out because she has a pre-scheduled trip to Boston planned. Others are choosing not to attend for very different reasons.

Senior Monika Morkunas said, “It was really lame last year and freshman year and I’d rather not spend money on a ticket to a dance I’m going to go to for 30 minutes. I’ll buy the dress, I’ll go to pictures, but instead of homecoming I’m going on a fancy date, then going to the after party.”

Not every student feels this way though, as 93% of surveyed students will be attending the long-awaited dance. After an altered version of Homecoming taking place last year, students are ready to have a normal Homecoming experience again. The dance will take place on Oct. 1 and will be disco themed.