Lemont’s referendum should be a no-brainer for local voters

If+the+referendum+gets+passed%2C+one+of+the+main+focus+areas+for+renovation+is+the+Commons.+As+an+outdated+lunchroom+it+is+often+dark+and+dingy%2C+which+is+not+reflective+of+the+rest+of+the+school+and+its+facilities.+

Reagan Russell

If the referendum gets passed, one of the main focus areas for renovation is the Commons. As an outdated lunchroom it is often dark and dingy, which is not reflective of the rest of the school and its facilities.

Reagan Russell, Coeditor-in-Chief

In lieu of the upcoming election on Nov. 8, Lemont is hoping to pass a new referendum. The school is hoping to maintain their current funding of money to be able to revamp parts of the school that have become outdated and rundown.

Back in 2006, Lemont passed a referendum and as of 2027, the debt service levy will be paid off at $5.3 million. The previous referendum is what initially raised taxpayers dollars due to the initial infrastructure updates. However, now that most taxpayers have adjusted to the tax increase, the district is simply asking people to remain at the current tax amount.

The new referendum is asking for a $5 million credit limit. Now, although the school district is technically asking for more money, they are not increasing homeowners taxes. If passed, the new money would not be used until 2028, when the final money from the 2006 referendum is fully paid off.

“This referendum that they are looking to do is little bits of money over a long period of time. Instead of one big ginormous chunk of money” said student services chair Denise Dalton.

In simple terms, the referendum would not raise taxes, but it would not decrease them either. If the referendum is not passed, taxes will decrease when the 2006 referendum is paid off because the school will no longer be receiving the same amount of money. But at what cost?

Maintaining a pristine school system will only benefit surrounding homeowners. Having a school as good as Lemont will increase the value of homes within the district. The school needs money to keep up its facilities and continue to be the best possible school for students to not only learn, but to thrive.

There are several focus areas in the building if the referendum gets passed. Most of our gym facilities are worn down and musty. While they are still functional, I think I can speak for almost every student and staff member, that the facilities are long overdue for an update.

The field house is used by almost every gym class each day. The floor is ripping, cracking and simply falling apart. (Reagan Russell)

In addition to gym facilities, air conditioning, flooring, the Commons and several others places would receive attention with the new sum of money.

LHS is an excellent school that should not have to deal with some of the poor infrastructures we currently have. Most taxpayers have already become adaptive to the tax dollars they are paying due to the referendum passed 16 years ago. Maintaining a debt levy to keep the school updated can only help property values and the daily lives of students.

“There are just some parts of the building that I believe need some love and attention” said Dalton.

If you are above the age of 18, make sure to vote yes for the referendum on this upcoming Tuesday. If you are unsure of where to vote, click here. If you would like more information of what else may be on the ballot read here.