The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Chicago Blackhawks captain temporarily steps away from hockey

Ella Murray
Jonathan Toews plays in his first game back on the ice against the New Jersey Devils at the United Center on April 1, following a two month absence from long term COVID-19.

Following the Chicago Blackhawks’ decision to not re-sign forward Jonathan Toews after his contract expired, Toews has decided to step away from hockey. 

The 35-year-old was the third overall pick in the 2006 National Hockey League entry draft by the Blackhawks. Toews’ NHL debut was on October 10, 2007 and has played with the Blackhawks since. 

In his rookie season, Toews was nominated for the Calder Memorial Trophy and Rookie of the Year. The following season however, the Blackhawks named Toews captain and he became the second youngest captain after Sidney Crosby. 

For the 2022-2023 seasons Toews was placed on injury reserve due to COVID-19 & chronic immune response syndrome. He was only allowed to play 53 games for the season due to these issues. 

Toews played his last game with the Chicago Blackhawks on April 13. Although they suffered a 5-4  overtime loss to the Philadelphia Flyers, Toews was able to score a goal during his final game as part of the franchise. 

After the final game, there was much speculation on whether or not he would retire entirely or re-sign with another team. Even Toews was speculating whether or not he was going to return to the ice. 

“The thought of playing for another team right now is so far in the back of my mind right now, especially after that moment,” Toews said in a press conference, reported by the AP. “I always thought I’d retire a Blackhawk and part of me still believes in that, so we’ll see.”

On August 17, Toews took to Instrgam to announce his temporary step away from hockey. “I’d like to announce that I am not fully retiring, but I am taking time away from the game again this season,” he said. 

“I cannot deny my love for the game of hockey and still feel the passion for competing at my highest level,” said Toews.