The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Curriculum Night schools parents on students schedules

Addyson Connolly
Parents explored the halls going from class to class to meet their child’s teachers. This allowed the parents to get a good idea of what class would look like for their kids.

On Aug. 23, LHS held its annual Curriculum Night which was coordinated by the Director of Curriculum, Tina Malek. As parents explored the halls, meeting teachers and interacting with the staff, they received little posters with a schedule for the night.

During the mock school day, parents get to go from class to class following their child’s schedule. From meeting teachers to viewing google classrooms, parents get a good idea of what a typical day for the students looks like. 

“I think it’s necessary to offer parents an opportunity to come see where their kids are spending a huge part of their day,” science teacher Christopher Hardy said. “They get to see their teachers’ faces, walk their routes and learn their schedules.” 

Parents ran through the full day schedule starting with Lemont Time at 6:45 and ending with “Zero Hour” courses at 9 o’clock. Each period was approximately eight minutes long with a five minute passing period.

“Now it’s kind of like a well oiled machine,” Malak said. “We’ve been doing it for so many years.” 

All parents were offered the opportunity to come to curriculum night, however, not many took the opportunity that this night offered.

“My best guess is about 300 families,” Malak said. 

Only 300 of the 1,313 families at LHS attended curriculum night.  

“I never think there are as many parents as there should be,”Hardy said. “This year my freshman numbers were really good, which I think is the most important thing.”  

Whilst parents, teachers and staff walked around, no one could deny the warm temperatures that had overtaken the building. 

“It was warm, but it’s nobody’s fault,” Hardy said. “It was ultra hot outside and it’s a huge building with some really old parts.” 

Despite small bumps in the road, curriculum night was successful. Now we just wait for next year and hope for a better turnout. 

“I hope more [parents] come,” Hardy said. “I hope they [parents] want to come for their sophomore, junior or senior years …and not just think it needs to be a one time thing.”