The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Lemont Girls Volleyball goes over IHSA game limit, disqualified from playoffs

Leila Rexhepi
Girls volleyball team celebrates together after winning a point. Teammates cheer on the sidelines as the coaches observe.

On Oct. 24, the girls’ varsity volleyball team was disqualified from regional playoffs by the Illinois High School Association. They found out just hours before their first game and were forced to forfeit the Regional game against Back of the Yards College Prep.

The reason behind the disqualification was an inadvertent scheduling error resulted in the team playing a total of 36 games, going over the 35 game limit enforced by the IHSA. The girls ended their season with 27 wins, making them the No. 1 seed in their class. 

In response to this incident, athletic director, John Young, released a statement Oct. 24. 

“Our students did nothing wrong,” Young said. “I am very sorry our players are forced to pay for my mistake.” 

Although it was the varsity team that was disqualified, the JV team felt they needed to stand alongside varsity and support them through this setback.

“I love the varsity members and I’m gonna have their backs because this is for a good cause,” Liepa Karaliute, freshman volleyball player, said. “They’re such a good team, and they could have won state, and I just feel bad for all the juniors and seniors.”

Karaliute was not the only freshman who felt heartbroken about their upperclassmen’s situation. Freshman volleyball player, Marta Pranskunas, also expressed how she had anticipated the varsity team play. 

“I know I’m a freshman right now, but I really wanted to see the team play, and I know that they have been fighting for it, ” Pranskunas said. 

The varsity team’s situation has affected all student athletes, especially female student athletes. They have spoken out on social media and meetings in an attempt to appeal the playoff ban. The appeal was denied leaving the girls devastated, but despite this sad loss, the girls were proud of all the work they had put in during their highschool careers.