The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Preserving past while building future: new Marbella Apartments begin to take shape

David Arroyo
Marbella is under construction from where the park is set to be, in between the building and the metro.

On 225 Canal Street, a new chapter is unfolding as construction progresses on apartments that promise to breathe fresh life into the heart of the Lemont community. After inquiring about these new apartments, Joncarlo Abbinante, the property manager, and Angelo Feola, the assistant program manager of Lotus Design and Development, provided an in-depth tour of the apartments under construction. 

The view from these apartments are phenomenal and are a great perk for future residents.  However, the apartments are still under construction and being developed. 

The apartments are being constructed on what used to be Arthur Peterson Hardware store, which due to its long service, became a staple of Lemont’s rich history. In order to keep this piece of history alive, the family of the department store and the village collaborated to build these apartments. Hence, Lotus Design and Development was contacted to transform this piece of history into something brand new. This has been done before with former St. James Academy becoming St. James Academy Apartments. Both projects have already obtained a certificate of appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission.

Since the company found itself working with history, they decided to utilize some historical architectural styles, specifically the French Baroque Style. This style has been used on numerous historic French buildings such as the Palace of Versailles.

Completed model of Marbella apartments, taking heavy influence from French Architecture. (Lotus Design and Development)

“The goal was to give residents the opportunity to be living in a piece of history with designs that look classical but, in reality, are brand new with modern amenities,” Abbinante said.

While the apartment building itself may look older, it has much to offer in terms of modern amenities. Ditching the traditional heater systems, the apartments instead employ the Mitsubishi VRF HVAC system. This system is not only more efficient than traditional systems, but also will cost the tenant less in bills and free up more space for walk-in closets and in-room washing/drying machines. 

Furthermore, the windows have been specially designed to be sound-proof in hopes of limiting the noise from the neighboring metro station. In addition, underground parking will be available with numerous electric vehicle charging stations.

“While designing the building, we strove to optimize the tenant experience while still keeping their overall living expense low,” Abbinante said.

In addition, the first floor will have numerous retail stores and restaurants to have a combined 10,000 square feet of commercial space. Likewise, it is assumed that tenants will be able to experience an active and connected community. Included with the building is a fitness center, lounging area, grilling deck, pet-friendly areas, a courtyard and a little public park.

“We’ve really planned the building to last 100 years, [so it does not] fall out of fashion and stay top of the line for long after its completion,” Abbinante said. 

The apartments will feature a total of 82 units, with numerous different layouts, marketed as one and two-bedroom luxury apartments. It should also be noted that a few will be used as Airbnb renting spaces, providing short-term renting options. 

Design concept of one of the 82 apartments units. (Lotus Design and Development)

Each unit is said to offer luxury finishes including quartz countertops and high-end fixtures among other things. As for its completion, the Marbella is planning to accept pre-leasing deposits sometime in April with residents being able to move in around July of next year.

However, the prospect of these new high-rise apartments being erected in the center of the town leaves a few residents expressing concerns. Residents are worried about the building  being an eyesore and increasing stress on the local community, especially in terms of traffic.

“I’m often in downtown Lemont visiting my sister. There’s already so much traffic and it’s only going to get busier,” resident Chloe Williams said. “But that’s okay, it’s gonna be good for business and the community. The increase of people may even give the trains more business as people have to commute to work.”

In the end, the effect these new apartments will have on the community remains unknown. Hopefully, they can breathe new life into the local community. More information about these apartments can be found on both Lotus’s and Marbella apartment’s websites.