The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Tarte Cosmetics experiences major controversy after sending influencers to Bora Bora

Thousands of viewers angered when watching content
Wikimedia Commons
Tarte prepares to host influencers on “Tarte Island”.

By Maggie Sinnett

For over 10 years, Tarte Cosmetics has been hosting brand trips, known as #trippinwithtarte, in luxurious vacation places such as Bora Bora and Key Largo. Many viewers wonder why Tarte wouldn’t spend the money on a TV commercial. 

“Almost 10 years ago we set out to create an intimate bonding environment to do just that and #trippinwithtarte was born,” CEO Maureen Kelly said in a Forbes interview, “The idea from the beginning was to invite innovative creators from all over the world to join us in an intimate setting where they can relax and I can connect with them one-to-one. This time together builds deeper relationships and strengthens the story behind the brand.”

However, the most recent #trippinwithtarte hosted in Bora Bora has created major controversy. This three-night trip starting on Feb 28. has caused the media to go insane. Tarte Cosmetics chose 30 social media influencers to fly out in Charter VistaJets to Bora Bora. Once arriving in Bora Bora, they would stay at the Four Seasons Hotel, where they could find bundles of makeup and clothes donated by various brands.

These 30 selected influencers also got a pre-trip package with merchandise from Tarte Cosmetics, custom purple Nike Jordans, a Beis travel bag, a Canon G7X camera and other small goodies. 

On top of this, Tarte flew all the influencers, with their plus ones, out from their local airport to Los Angeles International Airport, then to a hotel on the night of Feb 28. The following morning, influencers boarded the private jets to Bora Bora. Viewers were not surprised to see the influencers showing off their lavish glasses of champagne or extravagant plates of caviar.

Several users on TikTok are enraged that influencers get these opportunities to go to these luxurious places for free that they could afford themselves. 

“I work paycheck to paycheck and I am not an influencer. It would be cool if they did more for their customers but at the same time, I’m happy for people who get to go on their trips,” @sraeric said in a TikTok comment.

Tarte also hosted a giveaway on Instagram for one lucky winner and their plus one to attend this trip, as well. 

“Why would a bunch of rich people going on a free trip make me wanna go buy [Tarte’s] makeup?” @kahotic0_ asked in a TikTok comment.

Viewers simply don’t see the need for this trip and the content that comes along with it. On “Tarte Island”, you could also catch the influencers snorkeling, swimming, jet-skiing, or partying at the beach or pool. 

This trip has gotten a lot of backlash for inviting influencers who rarely use Tarte makeup, spending hundreds of thousands on transportation and gifting influencers expensive gifts that they could purchase themselves. 

Tarte’s annual brand trips may change in the future based on this backlash.