There’s more behind your plate of food

Lunch meal patterns revealed

Leena Alul and Katelyn Krakar

You spend seven hours a day, five days a week at school, chances are, you’re going to get hungry throughout the day. Luckily for you, the Commons offer breakfast and lunch.

The USDA allows breakfast and caffeinated products in high school because of the early start time of school. That’s why soda and coffee are available before school starts.

“Our menu is ever-evolving. We look at current market trends for Generation-z and we look for good service which is made to order,” said Director of Cafeteria Services Tina Mehta.

Everything on the lunch menu is made to order, meaning there are a variety of foods you can choose to plate. This gives everyone a chance to customize their lunch and pick everything out. The initial goal is to be like restaurants such as Chipotle, Panera, or Noodles and Company, where you feel you have power over the food you are choosing to eat.

The menu for lunch is looking for a more Southwestern-style food, and more ethnic foods such as Chinese and Asian food.

One thing you may not know about the lunch menu is that everything has to be within a calorie count, with sodium and sugar guidelines included, which is why it’s sometimes hard to have a variety of desserts. Everything is whole-grain meaning the food you are eating is actually good for you.

Another new addition will be turley bacon added for students who do not eat pork.

The USDA dictates what the lunch can serve. Our lunch is on the National School Lunch Program, and so they have to follow the USDA guidelines.

The cafeteria staff arrives at 5:30 am every morning to help prepare the food for both breakfast and lunch, and they don’t get to sit down until the end of the day at 2:00 pm.

If you’re looking to help out the cafeteria staff, students can come in around 6:30-7:00 am to volunteer helping out with the organization of the food. In return, students can receive a free breakfast meal. That sounds like a deal!

Katelyn Krakar
USDA dictates what can be served on the menu. Grades 9-12 have a little bit more freedom and liberty as to the amount of calories that can be consumed.