Spreading the love of history

Arielle Lyon, Rho Kappa Honor Society History Hours Co Chair urges students to get involved in the Rho Kappa Honor Society.

Maddy Horn

Maddy Horn, Staff Writer

Arielle Lyon, Rho Kappa History Hours Co Chair, had a vision of spreading her fellow students love of history throughout her local community. Lyon and a couple other students decided to convince the school to create the Rho Kappa Honor Society. Soon enough, it was accepted as an addition to the schools clubs. By implementing countless field trips and social studies related events, Lyon intends to gain interest from her fellow peers.

Question: How did the Rho Kappa Honor Society get started? If you had something to do with it, what pushed you to start this club?

Answer: “Our club started thanks to Madeleine Amberg’s initiative. She pushed for it and thankfully it was up and running in a very short amount of time. She asked some of her fellow Social Studies fanatic friends to help out and I think our teamwork is what really helped to realize her vision.”

Question: How would you describe your role in the Rho Kappa Honor Society?

Answer: “I am a History Hours Co Chair alongside Audrey Schlueter. We establish and hold Socratic seminars with club members regarding historical events and other social studies related concepts.”

Question: How do you feel the Rho Kappa Honor Society benefits students here at LHS?

Answer: “I think the opportunity for students with a passion for social studies to nerd out with each other is long overdue. LHS is on the path for honor societies in almost every academic field and the newest edition allows for diplomatic and thought provoking discussion and learning beyond the classroom.”

Question: What activities is Rho Kappa going to be participating in?

Answer: “We offer field trips and events related to social studies that will be announced throughout the school year.”

Question: Do you feel that being an active member in this club, you have made a difference?

Answer: “Considering the fact that as off three months ago there was no Rho Kappa chapter at LHS, I think that my fellow board members and I have made a significant impact on the formation of a great club here.”

Question: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Answer: “Rho Kappa is still accepting members! Students who have maintained a 3.5 weighted average in social studies classes as well as a 3.2 weighted overall, and taken at least 2 social studies classes may apply by Nov. 5th.”