The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Winter training prepares baseball teams for 2024 season

Ava Amato
Athletes settle into the field house before early morning baseball practice.

As spring approaches, winter sports are starting to wrap up their seasons while spring sports begin theirs. Preseason practices and training have begun for the upcoming 2024 spring season, with many teams getting a head-start to make their roster. Most notably, the baseball program has taken a large start on conditioning for potential and returning players. 

On Jan. 17, the freshmen, sophomore and varsity baseball teams started winter practices in the field house that take place twice a week on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 6:15 a.m. These early morning practices prove to be useful for not only student-athletes, but coaches as well.

Matthew Schmitt is one of many sophomores trying out for the baseball team this season.

“As players, we try to do our best during the morning practices since we have a bunch of coaches watching us,” Schmitt said.

These practices consist of different workouts that are specialized towards the baseball student-athletes. Twice a week, the athletes show up to the field house to practice their skills and work hard to obtain individual goals. 

“Even though the practices are early, it’s good conditioning. The workouts make me feel prepared for the season,” Schmitt said. 

With tryouts starting in late February and stretching until early March, the preseason training sessions are open to new and returning athletes and allow coaches to meet and observe potential players.  

With being Regional Champions and SSC Blue Conference Champions for three consecutive years, the baseball program has a lot to live up to for the 2024 season. Both athletes new and old, see the accomplishments the program has earned and use that as motivation for what is to come. 

“I have a couple years of baseball left,” said Schmitt. “Seeing the varsity team reach their goals makes me excited about what could be if I work hard.”