Girls Bowling has a strike of a season

Alejandra Rodriguez, Features Editor

January 30th marked the end of the Junior Varsity Bowling team’s season. The regular season’s record consisted of 7 wins – 5 losses and a Conference record of 3 wins – 2 losses. Coached by Mr. Dave LaBarbera the team has done great and can’t wait for summer sessions and the new season to start up again.

The team, composed mostly of freshmen and sophomores with a sprinkle of upperclassmen, includes Gabriella Gentile, Allison Dowling, Ashley Tulipano, Kayla Beck, Erin Grace, and Megan  Kerrigan.

Coach LaBarbera, or as the girls on the team call him, Coach LB, had much to say about this season and what he expects for the team in the future.

He began by describing the biggest challenge about being the JV coach. He said, “The biggest challenge is getting the younger bowlers to understand that this is a very competitive sport and getting them to compete at a higher level.”

To find a brighter side to the situation, he said that the biggest reward was, “when a bowler improves freshman to senior year and has a successful career.

Further into the conversation, he reminisced on the most exciting moment of the season. Coach LB said, “The most exciting moment of the season was beating Reavis in a very close dual.”

Afterwards, when thinking about the future of the team, he was hopeful. He said,  “The girls will get even better next year and will challenge to win conference.”

Lastly, he alluded to the Varsity girls when asked about his overall thoughts about the team by saying, “I wish the best of luck to the Varsity team as they get ready for Conference, Regionals, Sectionals, and State.”

The girls had much to say about their experiences on the team this year.

Gabriella Gentile said, “Honestly I never thought I would ever join bowling but I am so glad I did! Though it can get upsetting or you feel like you could do better you have the team there supporting you and that makes it all worth it.”

She also commented on her favorite things about bowling, “My favorite thing about bowling would most likely be the team aspect of it. Though it can be an individual sport it is also a team sport and I love that it is, a team. Everyone is so supportive in and out of bowling and I love that.”

Kayla Beck commented on the rewards and challenges of being on the bowling team. She said, “The biggest challenge in bowling is being consistent with your scores and trying to get a higher score every game. The biggest reward is knowing you’re trying your hardest, and when you get a great score. Also, meeting new people every year and forming friendships.”

Lastly, Ashley Tulipano had something to say about the team overall, “Oh my goodness, bowling is the best especially with LaBarbera joking around all the time, Kyla’s jokes and just everything in general. Also, all the funny moments on the bus on the ways to our meets and tournaments are the best.”

All in all, the girls had a fantastic season and those who are graduating will have fond memories to talk about in college.