Spell your way to Kenya

Heather Miller, Staff Writer

Lemont High School’s Judith M. Grossman Chapter of the National English Honor Society will be hosting a Spelling Bee competition on April 22 at 7 p.m. This event will entail spelling – obviously – but with wacky twists and many prizes.

Teachers and students alike will be competing to see who the best speller in the school is. English teachers Mr. Dron and Mr. Lazzari have already confirmed their participation in this event. Even the audience members will have the opportunity to win prizes by playing short rounds of “Hangman” throughout the show.

The cost to get in is $7 or $5 with a student ID. Proceeds act as a fundraiser for the Books for Kenya project that is being headed by Vera Parashchak, the Vice President of Literacy for the club.

These books are being made by the members of NEHS and are intended for 22 children that live in the town of Nairobi, Kenya who need help with their English skills. The books are intended for kids ranging from first through fourth grade that teach them life lessons, such as the value of honesty and forgiveness, along with a new language.

Through this project, we are allowing LHS students to utilize their writing skills and creative abilities to serve,” says Vera. These orphans have a desire to learn and NEHS has a desire to spread a passion for literacy.”

All of the money raised will benefit this cause in making sure that each and every one of the books will arrive safely into the welcoming arms of the children.

If you are interested in participating, there is a signup sheet outside of Mrs. Armbrecht’s room: N206. Bee there to prove your spelling abilities and support the Books for Kenya project.