Dancing for a cause

Reanna Comiso, Co-Editor in Cheif

A “dance marathon” will be taking place on March 19th at the Lemont CORE. The dance is set to take place from 7 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., though doors will be closed at 8:30 p.m.

The dance is a fundraiser that will be earning money that will be donated entirely to the student-run organization, Food Fight. This organization’s goal is to  eradicate  world hunger.

Funds will be raised by  selling tickets and then everyone who attends will have the option to have a personal sponsor. The sponsor will then try to earn money outside of school to donate to the cause. Students who plan to have a sponsor must fill out a form and turn in their fundraised money to Mrs. Heinz by March 18th.

The money donated to Food Fight will then go to purchasing food that will be available for “packing”. Once food is “packed”, it is then sent off to developing nations that need help fighting their hunger epidemic.

Last year, LHS alone raised $10,000, which allowed for over 65,000 meals to be prepared and sent to Nepal. Senior Carly Holzner states, “With the help of this Dance Marathon fundraiser, we hope to bring another successful year to Lemont High School’s Food Fight”.

Earning a lot of money and being able to pack a lot of meals is the end result, students are encouraged to attend and have fun while dancing for a good cause.

The theme of the event is “dancing through the decades,” so students are given the opportunity to be creative and show up in their best vintage looking clothing. Just like any other school dance, music and refreshments will be provided.

A prize will be rewarded for the best-dressed attendee. Other prizes will be awarded as well for the top 3 students who raise the most money with the help of their sponsor.

When the dance marathon is all said and done and funds are determined, food packing will take place on April 13th and 14th. Students will have the opportunity to pack meals during their gym periods.

Be sure to buy your ticket, have fun, and fight world hunger.