Varsity football takes on conference rivals

Morgan Pukula, Staff Writer

Since varsity has the best record of nine wins to zero losses in the division, they are headed to the playoffs. Coach Kooi and the varsity team continue the tradition of (hopefully) heading to state. But first, they’re going to play one game at a time, starting with the school’s biggest rival: Oak Forest.

Football in this little town is everything. Without high school football, most Lemonters wouldn’t have a place to be every Friday or Saturday night. And with varsity advancing to the playoffs after their last regular game, the town’s weekends continue to be filled.

Being conference champions, nothing is guaranteed. Everything is still on the line as they head into their first game. “It’s a scary feeling for the whole staff playing your conference rival the first week in.” Coach Kooi said.

During the season, the team played Oak Forest and was able to complete the game in a shutout, the score being 34-0. Kooi said, “It would be a huge challenge to do again. We are striving to do so though, on both sides of the ball.”

The team plans on taking each game week by week since looking ahead could mean risking it all. The bracket for the playoffs was released Saturday night, Oct. 22. After it was displayed, Kooi said, “Our side of the bracket is pretty balanced, but if you start thinking ahead, you can lose it all.”  

Practices for the playoffs may seem more intense than usual but, Kooi said, “Practices this week won’t drastically be changing, but we are bringing up a select number of sophomores, which will change the other kids’ reps.”

Best of luck to the boys as they continue their journey to state.