Lemont welcoming new sport- boys lacrosse

A lose against Lockport shows ways to improve

Ola Guzy

Players gather on their respected sides during a timeout in the second quarter. Lacrosse game against Lockport took place on April 5 at 7:00 p.m.

Ola Guzy, Staff Writer

New this year to Lemont High School’s athletic program includes boys’ lacrosse. The interest in forming an official school team from students led to the addition of the sport. Many of the current players have played together prior on club teams.

The team was excited and prepared for the game on Wednesday against their close competitor, Lockport.

Senior Alex Mucha said, ¨they have always been rival lacrosse teams.¨

Lockport started off strong in the game and took the lead within the first quarter and by halftime, they still lead 5-3. Lemont started playing more aggressively on the offensive side and took the lead with help from freshman Justin Dian two goals.

The two teams played very closely and by the fourth quarter, the score was tied at 9-9. With only a minute and 30 seconds left to play, Lockport scored the final goal, securing them the win with a final score of  10-9.

Even with the loss, Lemont played a good game and showed improvement that they can build on in future games.

Mucha said, ¨This season has been great, all of us are proud to represent the first ever LHS lacrosse team as a real sport. Although we haven’t had the best year in terms of wins and losses we are still staying positive and are looking forward to how we can improve.¨

The team looks to improve and try to get a win at their next game on April 9, here at home against Bartlet.