Boys’ swim dives into conferences

Aleksandra Borek, Staff Writer

The JV and Varsity teams for Boys’ Swim advanced to Conference on Saturday, February 2nd where competed against four different high schools, which were Tinley Park, Oak Forest, Bremen, and Thornton Fractional South. Eventually, they placed in second with Tinley Park having placed in first. In the games leading up to Conferences, the swim team has had almost back to back victories and only a few loses.

Before the game, the team’s head coach, Mike Beranek, said that Tinley Park has been the champions for the last ten years and will definitely be difficult to beat. He commented on how the high school Oak Forest has started to improve and get better. But he was still confident that his team would win and said, “I think that we always have a chance at winning conference”, and added that

Aleksandra Borek
The Swim Team at a home game in early January

they had a “pretty strong strategy and plan for Conference.”

The only thing the the team seemed to struggle with before the big game was getting to practice on time.Overall, the guy’s “stick together and work together as a team”, said Beranek, and after meets they have “spaghetti dinners and pot locks.”

• Winning or losing conference will either way result as an end for the JV team, but Varsity will continue on to Sectionals, and after that perhaps some individuals can go on to State. Beranek said it’s all about “[trying] to put our best swimmers out.”