Lemont Speech Team sends students Nour Longi and Elle Jeffress to State

Senior Nour Longi and Sophomore Elle Jeffress posing after the Sectional, ready to compete this upcoming weekend. Photo taken by Philip Lazzari.

Philip Lazzari

Makenzie Michaelson, Staff Writer

As the 2020-21 Speech season comes to a close, Lemont High School has a lot to celebrate. On Feb. 13, the LHS Speech Team competed in one of the most difficult Sectionals in the state. Five students made it into the final— students Lauren Rearden in Humorous Interpretation, Tarika Oberai in Informative Speaking, Makenzie Michaelson in Prose Reading, Elle Jeffress in Poetry Reading, and Nour Longi in Radio Speaking. 

Only the top three competitors in each final are able to advance to State. Longi and Jeffress rose to the challenge— Sophomore Elle Jeffress placing second in Poetry Reading and Senior Nour Longi placing as first in Radio Speaking. 

This is a monumental event in Speech Team history, as Jeffress is the first person from LHS to advance to State in Poetry Reading and Nour Longi is the first from LHS to become Sectional champion in Radio Speaking. 

After a tough day of competition, Longi and Jeffress awaited the results to see if they made it to state finals. Nour Longi was able to go through into the final round of Radio Speaking and was the highest scorer in the preliminary rounds.

After competing in her final round of Radio Speaking, Longi attended the virtual awards ceremony, which happened via Zoom. Longi placed sixth 

Overall, Jeffress and Longi proved their hard work and talent this weekend!