NHS movie night was a scary success

Student%E2%80%99s+gathered+to+watch+Monsters+University+in+support+of+ParkerPower.+NHS+volunteers+helped+at+the+event+throughout+the+night.+

Natalie Barowsky

Student’s gathered to watch Monsters University in support of ParkerPower. NHS volunteers helped at the event throughout the night.

On Monday Sept. 29, the National Honors Society held a spirit week movie night in support of ParkerPower. Admission to see the movie Monster’s University was $7 and all money raised went to Parker, a two year old fighting against Ewing Sarcoma.

The movie night took place on the Lemont baseball field where the movie was projected onto a blow up screen that was donated to the event by the Lemont Park District. Before the fundraiser, a vote was taken to decide the movie. Out of the three options provided Monsters University won the poll between High School Musical and Shrek.  

The event was open to everyone in the community and also provided spirit points to all students who showed up. In total, the seniors had the highest attendance with 78 coming to support ParkerPower and in total around 130 people showed up. “I think the event went really great, mainly because we were coming back from COVID so we didn’t have in person events the previous year” said Fundraising Chairman Enya Orozco. All in all, the event had a good turnout and ended up raising $1,484 for ParkerPower. Kaitlyn Tuvilleja, an NHS member who attended said, “I think it was really cool to see our school come together during Spirit Week to raise money for Parker.”