Lemont boys’ basketball team wins regionals for the first time since 1993

Nojus Indrusaitis helps lead Lemont in win over Marian Catholic for the Regional Championship

Eric Michaelsen

Lemont posing with their first Regional plaque since 1993 at Morris Community high school. Lemont ended the regular season with a record of 23-7 and a Deerfield MLK tournament Championship.

Jackson Crispin, Editor in Chief

On Friday, Feb. 25, Lemont boys’ basketball team defeated Marian Catholic 46-41 to win the Regional Championship. Lemont came into the game as the four seed in the Illinois class 3A tournament, Marian was the five seed. Lemont defeated Morris high school on Wednesday, Feb. 23 to advance onto the Regional Championship.

Lemont went up 7-2 in the first quarter from a Patrick Gardner layup, Nojus Indrusaitis runner and a Joe Pender three. Marian Catholic came back, cutting the lead to 9-8, then ending the first quarter with a three taking the lead 9-11.

Both teams in the second quarter played well-rounded defense, Lemont outscored Marian 6-4 tying the game at halftime 15-15.

“At halftime I was definitely nervous, our season could have been over after that game,” said senior guard Brock DiBartelo. “We were struggling to score the ball but I knew that our team was good enough to bounce back.”

In the third quarter Marian scored first off a Lemont turnover, Lemont quickly responded with an Indrusaitis layup. Matas Castillo and Indrusaitis both scored layups taking a 21-17 lead. Marian then scored seven straight points taking a 21-24 lead, Lemonts Rokas Castillo hit a big three tying the game back up 24-24. At the end of the third quarter Marian Catholic, with a late layup, was in the lead 30-32.

R. Castillo scored a quick layup to begin the fourth quarter tying the game 32-32. Indrusaitis scored a floater to take back the lead 34-32. With 1:04 on the clock R. Castillo was fouled on a three point attempt sending him to the Free Throw line for three shots. R. Castillo made all three of his free throws taking a 39-35 lead, Marian came down making a tough layup cutting the lead 39-37. With 38 seconds left Indrusaitis was sent to the line for a one-and-one opportunity. Indrusaitis knocked down both of his free throws extending the lead to 41-37. Marian was fouled and knocked down both free throws cutting the lead to 41-39, but fouled R. Castillo on the inbound sending him to the line. R. Castillo knocked down both free throws, taking a four point lead again. Marian made a layup with 18 seconds left cutting the lead down to two but failed to get back on defense and allowed for M. Castillo to get a layup extending the lead to 45-41. With 5 seconds remaining M. Castillo got a steal and was quickly fouled, sending him to the line. M. Castillo made his first free throw, taking a 46-41 lead. As the clock ran out Lemont won 46-41, the players rushed the court in excitement as they just won their first Regional Championship in almost 30 years.

DiBartelo said “We have worked so hard all season for this moment, it is something that we have talked about in practice quite frequently.”

Indrusaitis led the team with 18-points and nine rebounds, R. Castillo contributed with 10-points and M. Castillo added 9-points and seven assists. 

Lemont played Hillcrest on Tuesday, March 1, to advance onto the Sectional Championship. Lemont previously lost to Hillcrest 47-55 on Feb. 11.