2022 March Madness first 2 rounds: high seeds Baylor, kentucky and more go down

Jackson Crispin

A look into what the NCAA official bracket after the round of 32. Big teams like Baylor, Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee, Wisconsin and Illinois have all been eliminated from the tournament.

Jackson Crispin, Editor in Chief

On Thursday, March 17, the 2022 March Madness began. The NCAA rewarded Gonzaga, Baylor, Arizona and Kansas as the top seeds for their respected division. Gonzaga was put into the west division, Baylor was put into the East division, Arizona is the leader for the south division and Kansas was given the one seed in the midwest. Reigning champs, Baylor Bears, were looking to go back-to-back led by their point guard James Akinjo, a Bob Cousy finalist. 

From the first weekend of the tournament, this year’s Cinderella teams are starting to appear. Some of the Cinderella teams include: No. 8 North Carolina, No. 15 Saint Peter’s, No. 11 Michigan, No. 11 Iowa State and No. 10 Miami. 

North Carolina defeated No. 9 Marquette in the first round 63-95. In the round of 32, North Carolina was set to match up against top seed Baylor. UNC went up 26 with help from RJ Davis and Brady Manek, but Manek was ejected after a double technical foul. UNC point guard Caleb Love also received his fifth foul forcing him to leave the game. With UNC in foul trouble, Baylor began their comeback and tied the game 80-80 off an and-one layup from Akinjo forcing Overtime. In OT, UNC hit a quick three and hit a free throw going up four. Baylor tied the game again 84-84, but UNC went on a 9-2 run to end the game winning 93-86, knocking the first one seed off.

Saint Peter’s, a small school from New Jersey with only 2,500 students, defeated No. 2 Kentucky in the first round 85-79. With 22 seconds left in the game Saint Peters tied it off a 8-foot jump shot, forcing OT. In OT Saint Peter’s outscored Kentucky 14-8. After beating Kentucky, Saint Peter’s continued their Cinderella story by defeating No. 7 Murray State, 70-60 advancing onto the Sweet 16.

Both No. 1 seeds Gonzaga and Arizona survived a round of 32 “Sweaters.” After being down 10 at halftime to No. 9 Memphis, Gonzaga big man Drew Timme scored 11 points to bring the Zags back in it. Gonzaga won the game 78-82, Timme led the team with 25 points. With 12 seconds left in regulation, Arizona guard Bennedict Mathurin hit a three to tie the game 75-75 against No. 9 TCU focing OT. In OT, Mathurin and Arizona center Christian Koloko combined for 10 points, outlasting TCU.

Arkansas v.s. Gonzaga at 6:09 p.m. (CT) on March 24 tips off the Sweet 16. The Championship game will be on Monday, April 4.