Sun, sand, sleep: How students are going to spend summer break

“I don’t know why, but I’ve always loved the idea of summer, and sun, and all things hot…” -Olaf the Snowman

Emily Galassi

Glorious sunset over Tampier Lake to show summer is rolling in.

Sun rays burning your skin, the view of the horizon, and Menards. While we may not have the ocean view and sand between our toes, the midwest isn’t a bad place to spend the summer. Summer is coming for LHS students and the people want to know; how are students going to spend their summer break? 

When we asked 40 different people of various ages, 70.7% said they are traveling this summer. A majority of people who said yes to this question said they were traveling to tropical places such as Floridia and Hawaii. On the other hand, some people had said they were staying close to home and traveling to places such as Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan. However, 29.3% of people are planning to have a staycation here in Illinois. 

Freshman Samatha Howe said, “My favorite summer activity is probably sitting by the air conditioning with my dogs sitting right next to me. Also traveling with my family.”

Some of the students favorite plans this summer include tanning, swimming, hanging out with friends, sleeping in, and the mystery thought of what is happening the next day. 

Students are also excited about local events that can get the community involved such as, “Lemont’s Independence Day event, DownersFest and HomerFest” said by sophomore Jake Markowski. 

Students are not only planning on relaxing, but are taking responsibility and getting summer jobs, many with local businesses such as Turnabout Pizza, The Forge, and the Creamery.

Students are not the only LHS members with summer plans. Teachers also have a jam-packed schedule this summer. English and Communications teacher Jeana Parry has an exciting summer ahead. Parry said, “My son is very active in travel baseball, so we will be wrapping up his travel baseball year. I am super excited to go to San Diego, front row seats to the ‘Chicks’ concert.”

As the school year comes to a close and the summer begins to bloom, make sure to make the most of these warm and sunny days.