Blue and gold pep assembly concludes spirit week

Camryn Caruso

The HOCO court from top left to right: freshmen Carson Caruso and Molly O’Connor, sophomores Trenton Parr and Jordan Cryer, juniors Cael Whitchurch and Alana Nispersos and senior king John Vranas along with senior queen Suzie Knutte.

Camryn Caruso and Meghan Wehn

The annual blue and gold pep assembly took place on Friday, Sept. 30 on the football field. The assembly celebrated the conclusion of yet another successful spirit week and included performances from the chorus, cheer and dance teams. 

The blue and gold pep assembly also announced the top three boy and girl students from the HOCO court. The freshmen, sophomore and junior classes each had a prince and princess while the senior victors were crowned king and queen. 

Student council sponsor, Kathryn Kupchek, explained what being nominated for Homecoming court means to the student body. 

“It means that you’re a student that’s recognized by your teacher. You go above and beyond, you’re kind and just an overall good student,” said Kupchek. 

This year’s princes and princesses were Carson Caruso and Molly O’Connor from the freshmen class, Trenton Parr and Jordan Cryer from the sophomore class and Cael Whitchurch and Alana Nisperos from the junior class. The senior king and queen winners were John Vranas and Suzie Knutte. 

Besides the crowning of the HOCO court, performances from some of the schools highlighted teams and activities took place. The choir, led by Dave Nommensen sang the National Anthem, while the JV and varsity cheer/dance teams performed special HOCO routines. 

The assembly was hosted by students from the senior class, including Stone TeSelle. 

“My favorite part about ending spirit week this way is that the assembly just really brings us together one final time,” said TeSelle. 

The assembly concluded with announcements and reminders from staff regarding the HOCO dance which took place on Saturday, Oct. 1 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.