Homecoming court announced at blue and gold day assembly

Ella Murray

“I’m really grateful I got the opportunity to be Homecoming king,” said senior John Vranas.

Homecoming court is made up by a group of students from each grade that get nominated by teachers and staff. The nominated students must accept the nomination and then get voted on by their classmates on a google form created by english teacher Kathryn Kupchek. The top three boys and girls from each grade go down to the football field for the blue and gold day pep assembly where the winners are announced to the whole school. 

Winners from the freshman, sophomore and junior classes are crowned homecoming prince and princess. The princes receive a sash and the princesses receive a tiara. The homecoming king and queen are crowned and receive a sash.

“I was mostly surprised, I guess that I didn’t really expect it since there were such good candidates against me. I figured I would maybe get top 3 at most, [but] I never imagined winning. I am very happy, even proud to represent the freshman class,” said freshman Molly O’Connor.

Friday Sept. 1 the winners from each class were crowned at the blue and gold day assembly. The Homecoming princess and prince from the freshman class are Carson Caruso and Molly O’Connor. From the sophomore class Trenton Parr and Jordan Cryer, the junior class winners are Cael Whitchurch and Alana Nisperos, and the 2022 Homecoming court king and queen are John Vranas and Suzie Knutte.

“I was mostly surprised that I won, I honestly couldn’t fathom the idea of winning in the first place. I was nominated last year, but I didn’t pay too much attention to it, and that sentiment continued on this year. Now I can say that it happened. It was by no means a goal, but I suppose it’s another fun fact about me I can look back on,” said junior Alana Nisperos.

Homecoming court was not expected for many of the students participating. 

Senior John Vranas said, “There was the voting, which was the Friday before, and I was really nervous. I didn’t think I was going to make it in the top three. I really didn’t know what was going to happen until they called out the names.”

“I liked going on the football field and getting my picture taken, but my favorite part was seeing my brother cheer for me,” said sophomore Trenton Parr.