Voodoo magic: Marching band selects show theme

Anna Greer

From left to right: drum majors Toni Sarussi, Destina Sarussi and Alyssa Greer. Section leader of the color guard, Elise Mandell also represented the guard at the awards ceremony Oct. 9 at the Downers Grove South Marching Mustangs Music Bowl.

Camryn Caruso, Staff Writer

Following their successful 2nd place state finish in class 3A with the show performance of “The Witching Hour” last marching season, the band is back with another haunting show theme: “Voodoo”.

Each year the band chooses a specific theme to center their performances around. The theme is chosen by a number of characteristics such as the type of music, costumes, choreography, set pieces and props. 

One of the band directors and former Lemont student, Matthew Doherty, spoke on this year’s theme decisions.

“The design staff is a huge part of the process… folks who help compose our music and come to our first meeting with ideas already in mind along with what is most attainable for our students,” said Doherty. 

Compared to last year during the COVID-19 pandemic, the band has made many significant strategy changes. Doherty mentioned how the set designs were created to account for  the outdoors because of indoor restrictions and how many of the October performances were not guaranteed, due to sudden outbreaks. 

With a show as large as “Voodoo” and difficult music pieces, the band and crew put in many hours each week for a performance less than 10 minutes total. 

“Between class time, extra section rehearsals and mandatory Wednesday night practices, about 17 hours per week prepare us for our seven minute and twenty second performance,” said marching band director, Dave Nommensen. 

Besides the talented directors, crew and choreographers that create the show’s outline, the students are the final puzzle piece. The band has members ranging from freshman to seniors. From summer camp in the heat, class practice every day and individual instrument section work, the members do everything they can to prepare for each performance. 

Flute section leader and senior, McKinley McManus explains the idea of this year’s marching theme and the show’s contents. 

“I would describe the show as the band slowly being controlled like voodoo dolls (hence the name), and it gradually gets more intense as the show continues,” said McManus.

On Saturday, Oct. 9, the band won a total of three awards at the Downers Grove South Marching Mustangs Music Bowl contest including first place in class 1A, best general effects and best percussion section. 

The marching band season continues through the end of October, with a total of five contests on Saturdays and the Illinois State marching band championship taking place on Oct. 22. Catch the band at their next contest taking place at Lincoln-Way High School Marching Band Invitational on Saturday, Oct.15.