Ellie Strong Foundation holds toiletry drive for cancer families

Destina Sarussi

Aiming to collect 150 of each item, the Ellie Strong Foundation seeks body wash/bars, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, tooth brushes, lotion, travel size q-tips, chapstick, washcloths/loofahs, deodorant, tissues and hair ties.

Destina Sarussi, Staff Writer

Calling all students and faculty: the Ellie Strong Foundation is holding a toiletry drive to collect donations for cancer families at Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital. All donations must be new, unused travel items and must be dropped off at Mrs. Krolo’s room, W217, by Nov. 11.

A quick and convenient stop at your local Target, Walmart or Walgreens will certainly do the trick. Luckily, the toiletry drive is one of three fundraisers the Ellie Strong Foundation is organizing this year.

“Each fundraiser is specific in who it helps. This drive specifically helps families at Lurie Children’s Hospital that have to stay long hours with their loved ones fighting cancer,” said Stephanie Krolo, senior class sponsor.

Lurie Children’s Hospital, located in Chicago, is recognized as one of the nation’s most prestigious children’s hospitals, receiving numerous awards and accolades for exceptional treatment and technology.

“Sometimes families just need a little extra assistance with these toiletry essentials because the last thing these families should have to worry about is running home/leaving their loved ones to grab a toothbrush or extra soap,” said Krolo.

Over the past few years, the Ellie Strong Foundation has made substantial contributions to the community and Lurie Children’s Hospital, including over $62,000 to cancer families and numerous care packages. Once the foundation receives all toiletry drive items, members will organize and divide them into bags for distribution.

“Though I don’t live in Lemont, I still believe it takes a village to help and support one another. There are thousands fighting cancer, but we can really make a difference helping cancer families right here in our Lemont community,” said Krolo.

For anyone with siblings or friends at Old Quarry, have them bring items to their Advisory classroom by Nov. 11 for the chance to win a pizza party.