Golden Globes remain glamorous for 80th annual award show

The+Golden+Globe+sign+indicates+the+entrance+to+one+of+the+most+well+known+award+ceremonies.++This+is+one+out+of+their+many+logos+showcased+throughout+the+entire+event.+

Peter Dutton

The Golden Globe sign indicates the entrance to one of the most well known award ceremonies. This is one out of their many logos showcased throughout the entire event.

Greta Horn, Staff Writer

On Tuesday Jan. 11, the 80th annual Golden Globe Award ceremony was held in the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills, California.  The award show aired on NBC with the red carpet portion being aired on many channels including E! 

This year, comedian Jerrod Carmichael hosted the award ceremony.  He kept the crowd focused on the show while also dropping jokes to keep the audience entertained.  

“I loved how the host added personality to the show. It made the Golden Globes a lot more fun to watch.” said sophomore Maddy Faron, who watched the award ceremony. 

Many A-list celebrities made appearances at this year’s event whether they were nominees or presenters.  Some of these celebrities include Brad Pritt, Andrew Garfield, Jamie Lee Curtis and Austin Butler.

Other than the Oscars and Emmys, the Golden Globes cover movies and television series. This event gives out 28 awards to actors, movies and series that have shown outstanding performances. 

This year one of the biggest honors, the Carol Burnett award, was given to Ryan Murphy.  This honor is given to someone who has shown a large impact throughout the world that their career has provided.  During Ryan Murphy’s speech he inspired people of the LGBTQ+ community while also admiring how far the entertainment industry has come with queer representation. 

“I thought Ryan Murphy had an amazing speech and helped inspire people in the LGBTQ+ community that may need it,” said sophomore Maggie Prochaska.

There were many other awards given out during the ceremony.  Here are some of the biggest award winners of the night.

Actor in a Drama Motion Picture – Austin Butler

Actress in a Drama Motion Picture – Cate Blanchett

Actor in a Drama TV series – Kevin Costner

Actress in a Drama TV series –  Zendaya

Screenplay of a Motion Picture- The Banshees of Inisherin

Miniseries or TV Film – The White Lotus