The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Winter storm covers roads

Snowstorm sweeps the states and leaves towns in inches of snow.
Charlotte Drez
Snow falls inches high leading to slippery roads. Snow continues through the night and over 48 hours of snow in the forecast.

The winter storm hit some states hard this season on Jan. 12-16 . From snow days to cars not starting to airports shutting down, this weather caused a multitude of problems from people across the East.

On CBS News, Albert Ramon and Todd Feurer wrote, “This major winter storm will bring heavy snowfall and strong winds, resulting in hazardous travel and possible blizzard conditions Friday night through Saturday morning.”

Originally, the forecast predicted a couple inches of snow. However, as conditions became more dire, Cook County forecasted up to 12 inches of snow. As a result schools were canceled for the day, temperatures started to drop and planes were grounded.

On NBC Chicago, the NBC Chicago Staff wrote, “As of 7 a.m. Friday, nearly 1,000 flights were canceled across O’Hare and Midway International Airports, FlyChicago.com reported, with the majority of those cancellations at O’Hare.”

People were stuck in airports across the Midwest to the East. Flights were grounded, postponed, rescheduled and canceled from Jan. 12-16. 

The snow not only brought problems with flights, but it brought problems with schools across the states. School events, sports and clubs started to get canceled and postponed and soon after, the schools themselves canceled as well. The morning of Jan. 12 was a force to reckon with. Snow up to nine inches built up throughout the day while the temperature continued to drop more. The weekend started bearable with light flurries to heavy packing snow to cold temperatures that would give you frostbite within minutes.

On NBC Chicago, the NBC Chicago Staff wrote, “After the wind chill warning expires, a wind chill advisory will remain in effect through 9 a.m. Wednesday [January 17, 2024] for several counties, according to NWS officials. It isn’t until Wednesday morning that wind chills are expected to rise above -10 degrees.”

The weather may have created issues for travel and schools, but many students were happy to earn a five-day weekend and everyone was excited to spend the cold days inside getting cozy.