Students are dusting off the ACT prep books

Christopher Konicki, Copy Editor

With classes beginning, 2016 has kicked into high gear with students, particularly juniors and seniors, struggling with the thought of taking the often dreaded American College Testing (ACT) assessment. At this point, all seniors at LHS have taken the ACT, whereas most juniors are only beginning their preparations for the upcoming mandatory testing date in March. Being only a few short months away, now may be the best time to start studying.

Here is a list of resources  taken from students:

1. “Go to ACTOnlinePrep.com which is the program that we got, all the Juniors registered on in the Fall. It’s made by the ACT so it’s the legitimate ACT Prep.” – Mrs. Dalton
  2. ¨The Excel Edge classes that were offered at the high school and workbooks.” – Lauren Siston
  3. “According to the ACT, the best way to improve your scores is by reading nonfiction – whether that’s the newspaper, online blogs – just reading nonfiction in the forms of graphs and charts.” – Mrs. Dalton
  4. ¨Took the ACT ExcelEdge class. I didn’t study much and still got into my top choice college.” – Nick Matulik
  5. “Reading graphs and charts is one of the best ways. Imagine reading an article in the Tribune and you see a chart about unemployment numbers; then, if you see it on the ACT, you’re already prepared.” – Mrs. Dalton
  6. “I took prep classes, although I found they didn’t really help as much as I thought they would. The best way to prepare for me was simply taking practice tests, focusing on the subjects I struggled with most so I could attack them head on when it came time to take the actual ACT.” – Riley Maloney

All in all, it seems that a common method of preparation is to take an ACT preparation class such as the one offered by the school (ExcelEdge) or just outright study the subjects one struggles with. Since the ACT envelopes most school-taught subjects, it’s only natural to study those exact same topics.