Lemont drama set to stage emotional play

Samantha Siple, Staff Writer

imageThe LHS Drama Club is performing the play “13 Reasons Why” by Jay Asher on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday the 28th-30th at 7 p.m. in the PAC.

The play is originally a novel about a girl, Hannah Baker, and her friend, Clay Jensen. Hannah leaves Clay a box that contains the thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. The book was one option of the four summer reading books.

I asked the drama teacher, Mr. Nees, about why he chose this play and he said, “I chose the play because I believe it has a powerful message that needs to be heard.

He suggests seeing the performance “because the issue of teen suicide/bullying is a very important issue that needs to be discussed more. People often do not realize the impact of their actions on others.”

Sami Schoell, who is playing the lead role of Hannah, prepared herself differently for this play. She said, “I feel like for this play I definitely read through the script way more times than usual, just because of the amount of lines I actually have compared to shows before. I had to get more comfortable with doing a little bit more risqué things, because Hannah has so much more experience than I do in pretty much everything.”

She added, “I love playing Hannah. I feel like I can really connect with some of the things she goes through, just because the play itself can be relatable to almost anyone. There’s so many layers to it which gives me more space to experiment with my emotions.”

The Lemont High School production team works very hard to create the plays. On stage the performers act but offstage there are lighting and props and costumes that goes into making 

the end product phenomenal. Come out to see “13 Reasons Why” at the end of the month.