The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Basketball court named in honor of John Jones

Jake Markowski
Members of the District 210 Board of Education standing under the scoreboard with Coach Jones. Pictured from left to right: board members Mike Kardas, Pam Driscoll, honoree John Jones, Kurt Korte, Lynn Antonopoulos and Beverly Marzec.

During a pregame ceremony on Jan. 19, Lemont High School named the court in its gymnasium in honor of John Jones, who served as the head boys’ basketball coach from ‘62–’90 and Athletic Director from ‘79-’91. The ceremony took place prior to the home game against Oak Lawn.

“All of us familiar with Lemont High School know John Jones as a passionate coach and director,” John Young, Athletic Director, said. “We have a number of the people in the community who support him, played for him during boys basketball and attended school here at Lemont during his tenure, who keep Mr. Jones very dear to their hearts… it was a collective effort from the community of individuals who stepped up to indicate that they wanted to see appropriate recognition for Mr. Jones.”

A reception took place in the Performing Arts Center lobby at 6 p.m., with a brief program at 6:15 p.m. and the ceremony following at 6:45 p.m. Young and the board of education were introduced, along with Coach Jones and his wife, who were in attendance. A speech was given about Jones’ time as a coach and athletic director, as well as his accomplishments. A plaque under the gymnasium’s west scoreboard reading “JOHN JONES COURT” was revealed with the pulling of a cord. 

“I thought it was really special to see Coach Jones come back for the school to honor him in that way,” Rick Runaas, head boys basketball coach, said. “I think the sign looks great. I thought the ceremony was really well done and we’re just glad that we were part of it so it could happen here when we were here.”

After the ceremony, Lemont hosted Oak Lawn, which ended with Lemont defeating Oak Lawn 75-66. After the game, a gathering in honor of Coach Jones took place at the local restaurant, Next Mex.